Back to my beloved cookbooks.
So much love for them.
I am on a kick to eat healthy at every meal and when I saw an offering from Blogging for Books to review this veg-heavy tome, I jumped on it.
Brussels Sprouts. Tomatoes. Zucchini. Salsify.
Salsify? What is salsify?
Well, thanks to Martha Stewart and her crew, I now know that it is a tasty root vegetable.
|Fried Chicken with Puntarelle Salad|
Roasted Beet and Potato Borscht. Salt-Baked Potatoes, Shallots, and Chestnuts. Skillet Pizza with Greens and Eggplant. Egg, Asparagus, and Mushroom Stir-Fry. Rhurbarb Chutney with Pork Roast.
The delectable list goes on.
Each chapter includes stunning photography, easy-to-follow recipes, and little tidbit tips to guide you along your food adventures.
|Smoky Brussels Sprouts Gratin|
This book is all pros, for the most part. A few cons that don't really diminish the experience, but nonetheless, are noteworthy: many of the plant-based photos don't include the names of what's in the photo, so it leaves the reader guessing if they've never come across something like salsify; a large majority of the recipes feature meats or sweets or pasta, so the veggies aren't always the star of the show - something I had expected with a title like Vegetables.
But, all in all, a really lovely book filled with recipes to inspire vegetable lovers, adventurous eaters, and those trying to broaden their palate and plate. What a lovely offering. Thanks, Martha.
- Bulbs ~ garlic, leeks, onions, ramps, scallions, shallots, spring onions
- Roots ~ beets, carrots, celery root, jicama, parsnips, radishes, rutabaga, salsify, turnips
- Tubers ~ jerusalem artichokes, potatoes, sweet potatoes
- Greens ~ beet greens, bok choy, broccoli rabe, chard, collards, kale, mustard greens, turnip greens
- Stalks & Stems ~ asparagus, celery, fennel, kohlrabi, rhubarb
- Pods ~ edamame, english peas, fava beans, green beans, okra, shell beans, snap peas, snow peas
- Shoots ~ fiddlehead ferns, microgreens, pea shoots, sprouts
- Leaves ~ cabbages, chicories, endives, lettuces, spinach, spring and wild greens
- Flowers & Buds ~ artichokes, broccoli, brussels sprouts, cauliflower, chive blossoms, edible flowers, squash blossoms
- Fruits ~ avocados, cucumbers, eggplants, peppers and chiles, summer squashes, tomatillos, tomatoes, winter squashes
- Kernels ~ corn
|Zucchini "Pasta" Primavera|
*This book was given to me in exchange for an honest review. I'm totally being honest about always being honest, especially about books.