Tuesday, March 20, 2012

The Secret To Pinterest's Success: We're Sick Of Each Other


I think this article has really hit the nail on the head. It's not that we're really sick of one another - not in the way that you might think. The truth is we're sick of watching everybody post things to Facebook and Twitter that make their lives look glamorous or fabulous in a way that leaves us feeling less than wonderful.

And the truth of all of that is that these people's lives aren't as glamorous and fabulous as Twitter and Facebook posts would lead you to believe. Most of them lead regular lives just like the one we're leading, but through a 140-word virtual post, a life can be made into almost anything.

I love Pinterest. And not for the most obvious reasons. Sure, I want people to repin  my pins and tell me if they were successes or failures when they tried to make a certain recipe or create a certain craft. But mostly, I just want a place to post the mass number of things I come across in any given day online, in magazines, in books, anywhere. I just want a place to put them so I can refer back to them with ease. This is something I have been doing for years. Some people call it vision boarding, some people create Life books (I have several), other people create collages. But in any case, they are all doing the same thing: creating a visual reminder of what you like in hopes that you'll be able to create it in your own experience.

Pinterest has become a tool for visioning our lives; a way to share and experience with others and find things that may not have been so easily found otherwise. Maybe you're looking for a holiday craft to do with the kids. Go to Pinterest and see what others have found. It saves a load of time and gets you to websites that you might never have gone to otherwise. It's spreading our love of one another around the globe - very, very quickly.

I love the creators of Pinterest for making my life easier and more fun. Yes, I like many others find myself spending hours on Pinterest or pinning various things I have come to find. But I like it. It makes me feel good to see these endless array of things I know that I myself can create or buy with the click of a button. It's awesome. It think it is officially my favorite new site.

But on the flip side to the business world, does anybody know how Pinterest makes their money? Anyone? Facebook, MySpace, LinkedIn, Twitter and Pinterest are all free, but they have one distinct difference. Pinterest has no ads. All the other major social media sites have ads, games, and the like to increase their revenue. Even Goodreads has ads. But not on Pinterest...

Anybody have an idea?

This website seems to have the best explanation.

http://buzzraid.com/how-does-pinterest-work/

Is it true? Maybe. Does it matter? Nope. I'm gonna pin all I want for right now. :)

Happy pinning, everybody!

No comments:

Post a Comment