Thursday, March 17, 2011

What have I been doing lately?

Ah, that question always comes to mind when the winter falls upon me and I find myself inside, huddling to get warm, curled up in front of the TV or a good book and not wanting to do anything. Why does cold weather make me or any of us want to do that?

I don't know. Just does.

So, for my cure for the winter mellowies, I try to get creative. I write when I feel inspired (or when I just can't hold out and whine any more about just doing it!), I go outside when I'm brave, I sit inside in the sun soaking up feel-good Vitamin D and the sun's holy rays, and I try - try - to motivate myself. There's no guarantees, but I do try to get some stuff done.

With the time change, it feels like time slips away even if we do get more sun and light throughout the day. So, why do I still feel like there is more I could and should be doing? Because I know I can.

I suppose we could all be doing more - feeding the homeless (which I do do), fighting for clean air and water for everyone (I try to stay abreast of this matter and pollute as little as possible), reduce/reuse/recycle (all three are favorites of mine and I do often), paying bills, playing with the kids, taking the dog for a walk, being with friends. There is always more we can do. But do we need to do it all?

No.

I've tried it. I've been there, done that. And yes, we can be doing more, but should we? How long until we burn ourselves out like a spent light bulb because we burned for too many hours in a continuous attempt to light the path for everyone? Only until all we can do is flicker.

I don't want to flicker anymore. When my light shines, I want it to shine brightly for others to see because I have put my best effort forward. I don't need to be on all the time; it's okay to turn off the lights once in awhile and let the power plants take a rest. Rest, rejuvenate, reclaim. Truthfully, that's what the rest of nature is doing. And maybe that's why in the winter months, we want to do the same.

So, I think I will curl up with a good book, put down my need to type and be okay with just being.

Happy relaxing!

Oh, P.S. Just to prove that I have actually done something over the past whenever, check out the updates to my website: www.michellehankes.com. I added some new picture books I have been working on and updated a few pages. Let me know what you think!

Love and happy things,
Michelle

2 comments:

  1. I like your light bulb analogy. Good to remember to 'rest, rejuvenate, reclaim'. I'll check out your other site soon. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Megan! I love that you post comments and have such great feedback. It's so helpful! Blessings to you all!

    ReplyDelete